Mr. Sébastien A. Paquette focusses largely on complex litigation, with an emphasis on consumer protection and competition law class actions across Canada. He also has significant experience in high stakes estate litigation, shareholder disputes and tax litigation.
He began his practice at Fasken Martineau in Montreal and acts today on behalf of clients before various Canadian courts. Mr. Paquette has litigated in all levels of court in Quebec, the Federal Court, and the Federal Court of Appeal. His attention to detail and thoroughness makes him a highly sought out attorney for complicated matters requiring the management of extensive evidence and the consideration of complex legal issues.
Representative class action experience include:
- Lead counsel in a class action involving the Quebec Consumer Protection Act concerning geographical indications for champagne;
- Co-counsel in a multi-defendant class action in Quebec against private schools for reimbursement of school fees paid by parents during the COVID pandemic;
- Co-counsel in a nation-wide class action before the Federal Court against all of Canada's major airlines concerning failure to reimburse the passengers following the COVID pandemic and the frustration of contract that followed;
- Co-counsel before the Federal Court and the Federal Court of Appeal in a nation-wide class proceeding alleging an improper charging of additional fees contrary to the Competition Act;
- Co-counsel in a proposed class action that is presently on appeal at the Quebec Court of Appeal relating to wrongful expiry and excess fees on a leading Canadian airlines' prepaid product;
- Co-counsel in an industry class action before the Federal Court and Supreme Court of British Columbia against all the Canadian airports concerning airport improvement fees improperly charged to pilots and airline employees;
- Successful settlement of a class action for a world-wide class of members against a digital platform for improper charging of fees;
- Co-counsel in a proposed class action in the Federal Court against a foreign airline to enforce EU flight delay compensation; and
- Co-counsel in a worldwide class action against an airline relating to improperly charged baggage fees and expiring of travel credits.
Mr. Paquette is a member of the Quebec and British Columbia bars.